First I should apologize. This post was an after thought, so I didn't take a pretty picture of these eggplant stacks on our dinner plates, instead this is a picture of our left overs. On a plate by itself it looks so pretty, I really wish I had a better picture.
Did you watch the show Cook Yourself Thin when it was on TV? I loved it! Do you have the cook books Cook Yourself Thin: Skinny Meals You Can Make in Minutes, Cook Yourself Thin Faster: Have Your Cake and Eat It Too with Over 75 New Recipes You Can Make in a Flash!, Cook Yourself Thin: The Delicious Way to Drop a Dress Size
or
Cook Yourself Thin Quick and Easy? If not, let me introduce you with my all time favorite Cook Yourself Thin Recipe, you guessed it, Eggplant Stacks.
4 eggplants, thinly sliced into rounds (I used three and always say I need to just use 2. I guess the ones I find at the store are bigger than they planned for. It make a lot!)
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 lemon, juiced
1 1/4 cups store bought pesto
4-5 tomatoes, thinly sliced (I always use about 6 or 7)
1 1/4 cups feta, crumbled
1/2 cup basil, chopped (I leave that out since the pesto kinda covers that for me)
salt and pepper
1. Lay the eggplant slices on a sheet pan, lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper (I skip the salt and pepper here since you'll do it again to the tomatoes)
2. Mix together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice, and lightly brush the eggplant slices. (I love balsamic vinegar, so I dunk the eggplant instead of lightly brushing them.)
3. On a low broil, cook your eggplant about 6-10 minutes, turning occasionally. Cook low and slow for sweetness. Remove and reserve.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. On baking pan, arrange eggplant rounds side by side and spread each with a thin layer of pesto, then top with tomato rounds. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper, and top each with about 1 tablespoon feta. Continue to layer, ending with cheese.
6. Bake in the oven until cheese begins to melt (3 or 4 minutes.)
Enjoy!
Head on over here to find the original recipe in prettier format with a better picture.
My family's take: my husband, usually a meat eater, loves these! My kids eat them too, although I wouldn't say they have a new favorite food.
No comments:
Post a Comment